Feast of Blades '13

Thursday, April 28, 2011

(Vampire Counts) Summer of the Undead: Part 2



Ok so I've rummaged the interwebz of all its undead glory and decided on a a couple lists based off what I am getting or have. First of all I'd like to plug Wayland Games. I ordered a Mantic Undead Alternative Warhost and not only did they fix my shipping details, since I messed them up, within a day but sent it out and I got it in a week....from England....as well as getting a massive discount (70 figs for $50!) They gave me 10 free ghouls for some odd reason too......the last time I got something from england it took 2 months to get here. I started building the skeletons and they look great. I also battled it out on Ebay and bought 3 vampires and a necromancer.....this is wargaming at its cheapest level.....here are my two lists.....


Vampire Counts Army Possibly

Total—2500

Lords

1. Vampire Lord, +1 Magic Lvl, Flayed Haubark, Carstien ring, Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte -435


Heroes

1. Vampire, dispel scroll, scepter de noiret, lord of dead, Dark Acolyte -195

2. Vampire, ghoulkin, summon ghouls, cadaverous cuirass, talisman of protection, biting blade -175

3. *BSB* Wight King, sword of Kings, avatar of death – 145


Core

1. X50 Skeletons, musician, champion, standard bearer, banner of endless nightmare- 425

2. X20 Crypt Ghouls, Crypt Ghast – 168

3. X20 Crypt Ghouls, Crypt Ghast – 168

4. Corpse cart- 75


Special

1. X40 Grave Guard, seneschal, musician, standard bearer, banner of the barrows -555


Rare

1. X3 Cairn Wraiths, tomb banshee- 175



Vampire Counts Army Possibly

Total—2998

Lords

1. Vampire Lord, +1 Magic Lvl, Flayed Haubark, Carstien ring, Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte -435


Heroes

1. Vampire, dispel scroll, lord of dead, Dark Acolyte, biting blade -175

2. Vampire, ghoulkin, summon ghouls, cadaverous cuirass, biting blade -150

3. *BSB* Wight King, sword of Kings, avatar of death – 145

4. Necromancer (on corpse cart*), scepter de noiret – 80


Core

1. X60 Skeletons, musician, champion, standard bearer, banner of the endless nightmare- 505

2. X30 Crypt Ghouls, ghast– 248

3. X20 Crypt Ghouls, ghast– 168

4. X30 zombies- 120

5. Corpse cart- 75


Special

1. X40 Grave Guard, seneschal, musician, standard bearer, banner of the barrows -555

2. Spirit Hosts x3 -195


Rare

1. X3 Cairn Wraiths, tomb banshee- 175


I like both lists....the 3000 whips out over 160 models inside 8 units with 5 characters while the 2500 puts out an equally impressive 139 models in 5 units with 4 characters....both utilizing the Wight BSB with the sword of kings and a heavily upgraded vamp lord..... both big on the ghouls with a bunker of skeletons to hold units down. Both sport a big block of grave guard to smack enemies around..... Cairn Wraiths are just mean and I added spirit hosts in 3000 just because I need them for the psychic powers I can use that make them. Both sport a couple special banners...the grave guard barrows banner can be just plain mean. I plan on having the BSB and the vamp lord in this unit. I have a cc and got a necro on ebay so might as well use it.....the 3000/2999 point army is just plain mean.....I hope to use this army by mid summer in a tournament....more on this later

3 comments:

  1. List 1:
    Lord: Personally the VonCarstein ring is something I never use, too expensive for a one use only item, you would be better off giving him a magic weapon and The Book of Arkhan, as extra movement is awesome...

    Heroes:
    1: You have given the Vamp sceptre de noirot, but the lord of dead power? With the lord of dead power, he should stick to making more skeletons...
    2: Nice build, especially with so many ghouls...
    3: wights cannot take Vampiric bloodlines, so no avatar of death. Plus, he comes with all that stuff anyway...

    Core:
    1: Banner of Endless Nightmare wont do much for you with 50+ skellies in the unit, id give them the warbanner for that +1 all the time...
    2+3: Ghouls are awesome, dont change them...
    4: You should be able to free up enough points to get the Lodestone upgrade, for that extra wound when raising, otherwise, its not doing much...

    Special
    1: Personally, I have more luck with the Royal Standard of Strigos, hitting of 4+ with a re-roll works out better than hitting on 3's...

    Rare:
    1: nice little unit,its a bit small, but also very expensive to increase it. Nice for warmachine hunting/light cavalry duties...


    List 2:

    Heroes:
    1+2: You cannot have two of the Biting Blade, its still a unique magic weapon
    4: Good, I like necromancers when they are kept cheap, and given ONE job to do (in this ones case, raising zombies)

    Core:
    same thought for the units, 60 skeletons may be a bit much (try two units of 40 and 20, they will be raised up after all...)
    4: ZOMBIES! I love zombies, literally my favourite unit in the game... There are many times when the humble zombie has helped win me the game, and can be critical to my plans.

    Special:
    same thing with the GG, hatred may work out better for you...
    Spirit hosts I like, though they really dont do all that much (offensively) but are quite survivable.

    Im worried that you are leaving home without taking the "book of Arkhan", possibly the most useful item in the VC armoury. Also, when you use wind of Undeath to make the hosts, you dont need a unit for them to go into, just models to represent them (they are free!)
    The main concern I have is that the characters lack much in the way of offensive punch, instead you are relying on big units and fear (both still good, mind you, though Fear is a bit less effective now.

    Good luck with them, If you wish I can post/link you to some of my VC lists that work very well for me... Nice to see people using the Mantic stuff though, they really do give you bucketloads of models...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man I was thinking the same exact thing about the lord, survivable but doesnt do anything else for me. Ill correct the mistakes....its a lot to take in with all the magic items and wargear, some good combos pop up. These lists orginally are from what I found was good after just reading the dex and looking at other lists being similar and competitive is good

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a recent game I had a lot of luck with a Blood Dragon set-up, Red Fury + Eternal Hatred and Dreadknight, then with the Ogre Blade from the common items in the rulebook. 4 Str 8 attacks that reroll misses, and for every wound caused you get an extra attack. Isnt much that will be walking away from that...

    ReplyDelete